Kentucky ranks 11th nationally for exports per capita; and while Kentucky is home to a number of large corporations, small and medium-sized firms, usually with fewer than 20 employees, make up 90 percent of Kentucky's exporters. By increasing Kentucky exports, businesses create new jobs and raise the demand for Kentucky products.
Snapshot of Kentucky's Exports
- Kentucky’s exports totaled more than $19.3 billion in 2010.
- Kentucky ranks 5th nationally for total exports among non-border and non-coastal states.
- Kentucky ranks in the top 10 nationally in exports to major world trading partners including Brazil, Canada, China, Germany, Japan, the Netherlands, South Korea, and the United Kingdom.
- With nearly $10 billion in export sales through June 2011, Kentucky exports are up 2.9% over the same period in 2010.
- Of Kentucky's 209,100manufacturing jobs, 18.6% of those are directly supported by international trade activities.
- Manufactured goods accounted for 96.4% of Kentucky’s total exports in 2010.
Are You Ready To Start Exporting?
Kentucky companies are competitive players in the global marketplace. The Commonwealth recognizes the need to assist businesses with their development internationally, which is why in 2010, the Governor’s Kentucky Export Initiative
was launched. The Kentucky Export Initiative was created to bring together agencies and organizations in Kentucky that help facilitate international trade opportunities for Kentucky exporters. The goal is simple- to increase Kentucky exports, which will lead to new Kentucky jobs and create diversified markets for Kentucky products.