Skip to main navigation Skip to main content


Building/Zoning Permits

​New business locations and business locations undergoing renovation may be subject to state building codes, local zoning requirements, and Americans with Disabilities Act public access requirements. These regulations can vary with each business location depending on the type of business, location, number of employees, public access, and the type of structure.

Listed below are the state and local agencies you may need to contact before opening your business or before renovating an existing business structure.

In Kentucky the Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction administers building code enforcement and inspections of existing public buildings for compliance with state fire safety codes.

Local Building Requirements

Contact your local county clerk, city clerk, or planning/zoning office for information on zoning and building codes in your area. Zoning is a local issue, and the requirements can vary substantially in different locations.

Federal Public Accommodation Requirements/Americans with Disabilities Act

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires that businesses improve accessibility and/or eliminate or compensate for architectural barriers (such as doorways, stairs, water fountains, bathrooms, eating accommodations, seating, curbs, sidewalks, parking, etc.) to the disabled in all commercial and public buildings and transportation systems.

The Office of the Kentucky ADA Coordinator has an ADA Accessibility Checklist. Additional ADA information is available from the U.S. Department of Justice.

Note to Contractors

The Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction administers the permitting and licensing for HVAC, plumbing, boilers, electrical, elevators, manufactured housing, and sprinkler systems. For more information on licensing and permitting please visit the Occupational Licensing page of the Kentucky Business Onestop to contact the proper board.